Spicy garbanzo bean crunch has just the right kick to satisfy my craving for a spicy snack. -Travel Animal Doctor
If you are like me, when I sit down to watch television, I always have a snack by my side. Chips, popcorn, and candy were my go to junk food when the couch called my name. This recipe for spicy garbanzo bean crunch offers a healthy solution to my junk food craving.
Lately, knowing that junk food is not all that healthy for my husband and me, we have been avoiding buying them all together when we go grocery shopping. This leaves us with a craving when it comes time for my husband and me to watch our shows together. In place of the junk food, I decided to try to incorporate some homemade snacks into our diet that are delicious and not as processed. This spicy garbanzo bean crunch satisfies my craving for spicy and salty foods during our movie nights.
1 can Garbanzo Beans
1/2 tsp. Salt
3 Tbsp. coconut oil
1 Tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil
1/2 Tbsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 Tbsp. smoked paprika
Prep time: 5 minutes
1) Take one can of garbanzo beans, drain and rinse them thoroughly.
2) Add smoked paprika, salt, cayenne pepper, cumin, and extra virgin olive oil to bowl of rinsed garbanzo beans.
3) Mix up until thoroughly combined.
4) Let 3 Tbsp. coconut oil melt in saucepan on stove top. Make sure pan is hot when adding the garbanzo beans into saucepan.
5) Pour the garbanzo bean mixture into the pan. They should become crispy immediately once added to pan.
6) Every few minutes shake pan to ensure that beans are equally brown on all sides. Spices create a reddish-brown coating around the garbanzo beans.
7) After they are caramelized they are done! When biting in, you should taste crispy beans with a smooth center.
This dish is simple to make, and only takes about 5 minutes to prepare. It tastes the best when it is still warm, after preparation.
If you are unable to finish it with your friends and family, it can be put in a zip lock bag for the next day. “The crunch” is “the crunchiest” when you eat the snack before it is completely cooled.
The smooth and creamy center of the garbanzo bean offers a delightful contrast of texture and flavor, when compared to that of the outside coating. The common ingredients help me to avoid extra trips to the grocery store for ingredients. I also like the fact that since the ingredients are common, I am not buying anything that we cannot use up.
If you are a snacker, consider the spicy garbanzo bean crunch as a healthy alternative to junk food while watching your shows at night. This quick and easy to make dish is sure to satisfy your craving for salt or spice.
*Warning: I really like my food spicy. If I had to choose my kind of salsa from the choices of “Fire”, “Hot” and “Mild”, I would choose “Fire” for the flavor.*
If you just want a small kick, 1/8 tsp. of cayenne pepper may be a more suitable amount of spice to put in for you.
Altering the amount of cayenne pepper may be necessary for your personal tastes and comfort.
If you would rather have your spicy garbanzo bean crunch mildly spicy, it is as easy as adjusting the recipe. – Travel Animal Doctor