For a new green to sink your teeth into, try this cranberry brussels sprout salad.
- 28 brussels sprouts (Remove bad leaves and soak/rinse)
- 1 c. pecan
- 1/2 c. parmesan cheese (finely grated)
- 1/4 c. cranberries (raisins)
- salt and pepper
- 3 TBS apple cider vinegar
- 9 TBS flaxseed oil
- 2 tsp. dijon mustard
Prepare the brussels sprout salad with home grown brussels sprouts, or buy the brussels sprouts pre-shredded at the nearest whole foods market.
- Shred sprouts with food processor or mandelin.
- Shred or grate parmesan cheese.
- Toast walnut or pecans. (7 to 8 minutes with flaxseed oil on stovetop)
- Mix apple cider vinegar, flaxseed oil and mustard with salt and pepper thoroughly as a dressing.
- Put sprout shreds, parmesan cheese, cranberries (or cranberry raisins), and pecan/walnut in a salad bowl.
- Mix your cranberry brussels sprout salad well.
- Add dressing, mix well, and serve!
Retain all the valuable nutrients of brussels sprouts by eating them raw and shredded in this salad today.
Brussels sprouts are packed with a variety of nutrients that add value to any diet, and support every lifestyle (except perhaps that of a carnivorous one). This green allows many healthful contributions to the diet, more so in some ways, than kale. For example, the glucosinolate content in brussels sprouts is higher, allowing the vegetable to be an increased source of natural cancer prevention. Additional antioxidants within brussels sprouts allow for cancer detoxification within the body. Anti-inflammatory properties of brussels sprouts protect against chronic inflammatory diseases. Brussels sprouts contain a large amount of vitamin K and C, as well as a substantial amount of folate.
Addictive personalities beware: over-indulgence of this salad is easy.
Health connoisseurs will enjoy the contradiction to the normally negative connotation of the word, “addiction” offered by the taste of this vegetarian recipe. The mixture of the walnuts, cranberries and mustard vinegar dressing offers a sweet and nutty punch to every bite. This salad can be supplemented as an appetizer for a nutritious dinner meal. Alternatively the salad can stand alone as a light vegetarian lunch. The inviting fresh crunch of this cranberry brussels sprout salad will leave this salad lover smiling time and time again. To see guests quickly clean their plates, try the cranberry brussels sprout salad recipe today.